Last night, the North American Retail Hardware Association (NRHA) honored seven independent home improvement retailers during a ceremony at the Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel.
These seven retailers were recognized as NRHA’s Young Retailer of the Year honorees, an honor given to high-achieving independent retailers age 35 and younger who are innovative, forward-thinking retailers and future industry leaders.
“To be selected as a Young Retailer of the Year is a high honor,” says Scott Wright, executive director of NHRA’s Retail Leadership Institute. “Manufacturers, retailers and wholesalers within the industry all anticipate the selection and celebration of the extraordinary accomplishments of the honorees. These seven retailers show the kind of energy and ambition that will move our industry forward.”
This year’s honorees are:
- Franklin Cloninger, General Manager, Triangle True Value Hardware and Rental, Greenwood, South Carolina Under $2 million in annual sales
- Morgan Godfrey, Co-owner and Retail Manager, Select Source, Kimberly, Idaho Under $2 million in annual sales
- Trey Hamilton, Owner-operator of Arab Lumber & Supply, Arab, Alabama Over $2 million in annual sales
- Kevin Harris, Store Manager, Harris Home Hardware, London, Ontario Over $2 million in annual sales
- TJ Colson, Director of Store Operations, Wilco, Mt. Angel, Oregon Multiple Store Operations
- Jacob Hagan, Director of Store Operations, Hagan Ace Hardware, Orange Park, Florida Multiple Store Operations
- Samantha Post, Marketing and Human Resources Manager, T&M Hardware & Rental, Bellevue, Pennsylvania Multiple Store Operations
Each honoree spoke about their appreciation for the award and how home improvement success wouldn’t be possible without the support of their family, communities and co-workers.
“This award isn’t just for those of us being recognized tonight; it’s for everyone who supports us,” says honoree Morgan Godfrey. “We work in a fantastic industry—one of the best I could ever dream to be a part of.”
NRHA chairman of the board TJ Comstock, who himself was a Young Retailer of the Year honoree in 2010, delivered closing remarks, and he is optimistic about the future of the independent industry.
“The stories and speeches we heard tonight are a testament to the future of the home improvement industry,” he says. “This is our future, and we’re in good hands. The industry has a bright future ahead with these young retailers leading the way.”
NRHA appreciates the support from the Young Retailer of the Year program sponsors: Channellock Tools, Delta Faucet Co., The Fluidmaster Co., Intertape Polymer Group and Midwest Fastener. The receptions before and after the award ceremony were sponsored by Arrow Fastener.
Stay tuned to Hardware Retailing and NRHA on social media this week to see all the highlights from this year’s conference.